Pages

7.29.2009

From white to brown

No, I'm not referring to my tan. I'm talking about flour. Flour? In a fitness diary? Well, yes, actually, the type of flour you choose to eat is incredibly important to your health.

When I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, my doctor suggested that I eat more whole grains and replace white breads with 100% whole wheat ones. Whole wheat? Ick! My memories of whole wheat consist of my grandmother's Roman Meal bread that looked and tasted like cardboard. No thanks!

Seriously, he goes on to say that whole wheat bread, bagels, crackers have come a long way. I don't have an option here. So, I trek out to the supermarket to stock up. And much to my surprise, there is a plethora of choices out there, some of which are quite tasty!

Two of my favorites include Thomas' 100% whole wheat bagels and 100% whole wheat English muffins. They are loaded with fiber which of course keeps you feeling full and helps to rid the body of toxins. And of course, on that bagel I put light cream cheese. It has less cholesterol than it's full fat counterpart, and I can't taste the difference!

I do have to say, I still like a PB&J on white bread...that will never change!!

No comments: