Pages

7.24.2009

An unexpected shadow

Yesterday, I had an unplanned trip to see my primary care physician. I was experiencing some heart palpitations, and I didn't want to brush them off as a symptom of anxiety. Of course, no palpitations at the visit. Normal heartbeat. Normal EKG. This always seems to happen to me...tons of symptoms when I make the appointment, but none at the actual visit. But my doctor trusted me enough to know that I wasn't making this stuff up. So, lo and behold, he outfits me with a cardiac halter monitor to be worn for 24 hours. Are you kidding me? Those are for people in their 80's. He tells me to go about my normal routine and be sure to squeeze in some exercise so he can see how it affects me heart rate and rhythm.

As if Motivation isn't annoying enough as a partner on my daily run, Halter Monitor was a thorn in my side. Bouncing, moving around...just plain in the way. But I had to deal with it, and as an added bonus, Halter Monitor made me run for 20 minutes straight...just to show my doctor that I'm serious about working out. No slacking here. And I even managed to squeeze in some weights and walking too!

Check back after the weekend for details on the data on the halter monitor. Needless to say, I'm glad Halter Monitor has taken a hike...for now anyway.

No comments: